Thursday, August 23, 2007

ecstasy on the edge

Yesterday was- Bob Day- Bob Dylan was in town and I, oh how blessed can one be, went to see him. All day I was thinking about him actually being here in Perth, somewhere. The day was tinged with his presence. They were playing him in New Editions when I popped in on the way to pay the rent. At the bank the girl behind the counter asks the dreaded question, "have you got much planned for the rest of the day"* - and for once I had something to report - "YES , I'm going to see Bob Dylan tonight". By that stage I wanted to shout it from the rooftops and bore everyone I met. "I thought he was dead" she said as she stamped my paying-in book. "God I hope not", I said, "it won't make for a very interesting evening". Blimey where do people get their information.

The expedition to the Burswood Dome was launched by my next door nieghbour A. and our mutual male friend P. A. knocks on my door brandishing a glass of wine while I am still in the throws of choosing an outfit. She is flying off for a six week sojourn in India on Sunday and getting her life in order so that she can leave it all behind. Her and Freddie get comfortable on my bed and she discourses on her dramas as I put the finishing touches to my face and dab myself liberally with the patchouli oil.

We pick up P. and are off up the Canning Highway like demented groupies.

We braved the horrors of queuing for a park and hustled our way into the dome - which must be the worst venue in the southern hemisphere not to say the world. Anyone who has been there will know that it may be perfect to watch a tennis championship but as a rock venue it sucks bigtime. We had consigned P. to the ticket buying and found that the stage represented a vague shape on the far horizon. Luckily though I had my Dad's trusty binoculars with me and with their help Bob, when he arrived, in all his majesty, was visible as well as audible.

The show was amazing, he was amazing, the songs were amazing and right at the end during the encore the crowd finally rushed the red shirted attendants who were ever vigilant to keep us in our place and oh well, there he was, there we were and it couldn't have been more perfect. He actually looked like he was enjoying himself and in the end came out in front of the audience and raised his arms pointing his hands skywards - unheard of!

*not quite as bad as; "Hows your day going, are you keeping busy?".....Busy; a concept I try to avoid - but try and explain that to a bankteller.

3 comments:

Carol Ryles said...

Oh I'm so jealous. I nearly went and saw Bob. Why didn't I? Because I'm an idiot, that's why? What songs did he do? New ones? Old ones? Or both? Have just got around to watching New Direction Home, and my 18 yo daughter who has always complained about not liking Bob Dylan, suddenly decided that yes, she does like him. At last I have someone in the family onside!!

If he ever comes to Perth again, can I go with you to see him???

Satima Flavell said...

I picked up your link from Carol's blog. You can check me out via my sig, but I'm a friend of Carol's so I hope that makes me OK:-) I'm not a serious Dylan fan but as a hippy-ish chick from the 60s I can realte to what you're saying. I can also relate to the prospect of homelessness - it happened to me as a result of the boom in Perth and now I live in Mount Gambier, South Australia, which is a nice place but IT'S NOT PERTH:-((((

Perth is the best place in the world to live. I know because I've lived in a baker's dozen of towns all over the globe.

anudhara rolph said...

Carol and Satima - thanks for your comments. Hey, sure Carol you can come with me next time He comes to Perth! Maybe I will have to decamp to Mount Gambier too - but at the moment feeling a bit more secure.