Thursday, August 30, 2007

The edge eclipsed

Would you believe it I managed to miss the eclipse the other night. There was an eclipse of the sun a few years ago and I was so excited it about it for weeks beforehand. Couldn't wait. Then, one afternoon I was indoors having a cleaning frenzy. It seemed to get quite dark all of a sudden so I just put on a few lights, thinking it was a bit odd. My friend got home a bit later and said wasn't it amazing, everything was so wierd and silent, blah blah rave rave.... The penny dropped and the realisation that I had been brandishing the vacuum cleaner in a bad mood while in the middle of a cosmic event was a shock I still haven't quite got over.

Yesterday I had to give a presentation in the Literary Journalism course on George Orwell's book, The Road to Wigan Pier. The previous two days had seen me struggling in front of the screen, constantly hitting the word count button trying to boost the total to 1200. I enjoyed reading the book but how hard it is to put the thoughts in order and then find words for those thoughts. In the evening I read a bit more of Alice in Wonderland because I feel I ought to - I am not sure if I have ever read it all before. The copy I have is really cheap and doesn't have any pictures. I don't know what happened to the blue hardback I used to have.

My next door nieghbour flew out to India on Sunday for a six week sojourn. I suddenly realised how much I would miss her. A couple I have sat a couple of silent meditation retreats with have moved in while she is away. On one level I feel I know them well but not on the level of every day chit chat and running in and out of each others houses with tidbits of idle gossip, extra soup we've cooked, cups of tea and the occasional muffin.

3 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

I missed the eclipse, too, dammit. I actually forgot - can you believe that? I got all involved in The Toime Team, one of my favourite TV shows.

We probably know each other. I've sat lots of retreats in Perth, too. Get Carol to give you my e-mail addy if you like and we'll compare notes:-)

Satima Flavell said...

That should of course, be Time Team, unles you're sending up looka-me, looka-me, looka-me Kath Day:-)

Carol Ryles said...

I missed the eclipse too. But I think it was too cloudy anyway.

Saw the solar one a few years back. Me and the kids sat under a tree and as the eclipsed sun shone through the leaves, it threw little cresents of light on the ground. Very pretty and much simpler than messing around with viewing gadgets.