Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Falling off the edge

This is it - my very first post from the edge. The main concern at the moment is the fear of falling into the abyss - becoming homeless - all the insecurity made it difficult to be a confident blogger since setting up this blog. Of course I am being a bit melodramatic, it's just that my landlords; a couple; have decided to split up and this dear little house that is ideal for myself and Freddie may have to be split up as well - and as yet I don't exactly know what that may mean but it does bring up fear and insecurity about my tenancy. Oh well, I am getting used to it now.....more opportunity to live in the moment. The thought of packing up and moving my books though does not fill me with excitement - I like them where they are, neatly arranged on their shelves.

Let me describe this home of two years. For a start it is in the most desirable of locations - walking distance from Freo and an easy walk to Booyembarra park where Freddie and I step out each morning. The dwelling is a one bedroom unit in a block of three (a triplex) and my nieghbours are single women like myself - and my next door nieghbour is a friend of thirty years. When I moved from a flat to this house I wanted two things - a garden and a dog! I did a visualisation of the type of place I wanted and this little place came very close - I even imagined a little fish pond -there is one just outside the backdoor. The rooms are very basic but the front window faces north so I get all the lovely winter sun. I have covered the walls with artwork mostly painted by my family. The bookshelves take up much of the wall space - a friend was here at the weekend and she said I would soon be needing a new bookshelf as they are overspilling somewhat. I said -no room-.......she looked around for a minute and said -the ceiling is a bit under-utilized-. Living in a space like this is comfortably cluttered and cosy - my desk looks out into the garden where I have gone crazy with flowers. When I moved in I splashed out on a Kilim rug which gives the room a bit of class.

No comments: